Vanilla rhubarb with strawberries and rhubarb crisp
- 10 strawberries
- Caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- 150ml water
- 2 stalks forced pink rhubarb, cut into 2 inch slices and then cut in half lengthways
- 100g walnuts
- 30g best unsalted butter
- 1 spoon clotted cream (can be omitted)
- Stir the boiling water, vanilla pod, and 3 dessertspoons caster sugar together in a saucepan over a low heat to make a syrup.
- Pour half the liquid with the vanilla pod into a separate pan and the rhubarb and cook until the rhubarb softens.
- Pour the other half over the strawberries and blitz with a handheld blender to make a puree. Pass through a sieve into a bowl to remove any seeds.
- Put the walnuts in a food processor, add the melted butter and a little caster sugar and blitz briefly till the nuts are in small pieces. Transfer to a pan and grill for a couple of minutes to toast.
- Place the rhubarb in the centre of the plate, spoon around the strawberry sauce and sprinkle the walnut crisp onto the top of the rhubarb. Serve with a spoonful of clotted cream.