- 500ml (18F fl oz) whipping cream
- 1 vanilla pod, split
- 6 egg yolks
- 85 g (30z) castor sugar
- 5 ml (1tsp) arrowroot
- 5ml (1tsp) rosewater
- 19cm (7 ½ inch) diameter x 5cm (2 inch) deep sweet shortcrust pastry case, baked blind
- 10 ml (2 tsp) grated nutmeg
- Icing sugar, sifted to decorate
For the pastry
- 115g (4 oz) cold unsalted butter
- 225g (8oz) plain white flour
- A pinch of salt
- 10ml (2tsp) castor sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten, plus extra for glazing
- Cold water
- Preheat the oven to 160C.
- Pour the cream into a small pan, add the vanilla pod and bring to the boil.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks and sugar together for 1 minute, and then whisk in the arrowroot.
- Pour on the boiling cream and stir well, add the rose-water and strain the whole mixture in through a fine sieve.
- Pour the cream and egg mixture into the pastry case and carefully place in the oven. Cook for about 30 minutes, or until just set and still wobbly. When cooked remove from the oven, sprinkle over the nutmeg and leave to cool. Chill well, preferably overnight.