Pineapple and Grand Marnier upside down cake (Torta all’ananas e Grand Marnier)
- 3 tablespoons of Grand Marnier
- 2 tablespoons of grated orange zest
- 1 whole pineapple (peeled and sliced into ½ cm slices)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 125g plain flour, sifted
- 210g granulated sugar
- 120g caster sugar
- To make the caramel, combine the granulated sugar with 3 teaspoons of water in a small non stick pan and place over a medium heat until dissolved. Stir occasionally.
- Once the sugar mixture is gently boiling and starting to darken, remove the pan from the heat and pour the caramel into a 20cm flan dish.
- Gently push the pineapple slices into the caramel slightly overlapping. Set aside.
- Place the eggs in a large bowl and whisk until fluffy and nearly double their size. Pour in the caster sugar and continue to whisk until creamy and thick.
- Add in the baking powder and the orange zest and continue to whisk until the mixture forms thick ribbons.
- Gradually add in the flour and fold it in carefully to incorporate as much air as possible.
- Pour the mixture into the flan dish with the caramel sauce and bake in the middle of a preheated oven at 180º for 25-30 minutes. (Once the time is up, you can test the cooking by inserting a toothpick in the centre of the sponge and if it comes out clean it is ready).
- Remove the flan dish from the oven and with the help of a knife, cut around the sponge.
- Wearing your oven gloves, place a serving plate over the top of the tin, quickly invert the plate and the tin and turn out the orange sponge. (Be carful as the caramel sauce will be very hot).
- Drizzle over the Grand Marnier and serve at room temperature with a good quality vanilla ice cream.