Strawberry and Almond Crunch Creams
For the thick custard
- 200ml whipping cream
- ½ vanilla pod, split lengthways
- 50 g granulated white sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
For the dessert
- 150g of Amaretti biscuits
- 250g mascarpone cheese
- 150g made and cooled thick custard
- 1 Punnet of strawberries
- 3 tbsp clear honey
- 1 shot of Italian Strega liqueur
- In a large bowl whisk together the sugar and yolks until well blended. Meanwhile in a small saucepan heat the milk and vanilla bean just to the boiling point. Whisk a few tablespoons of the milk into the egg yolk mixture; then gradually add the remaining milk and vanilla bean, whisking constantly.
- Pour the mixture into a saucepan over medium heat and gently heat the mixture to just before the boiling point (Steam will begin to appear and the mixture will be slightly thicker than heavy cream. Do not boil or the eggs will curdle). Check by holding a wooden spoon sideways that is covered with the custard and run your finger along the back of the spoon. If the streak remains without the cream running down through the streak, it is ready. Immediately remove from the heat and pour through the strainer. When cool, mix together with the mascarpone and set aside. Blend half the strawberries with the honey and Strega until you have a smooth puree. Slice the remaining strawberries and roughly crush the Amaretti biscuits.
- Divide the biscuits between 4 stem glasses and pour over a little of the strawberry puree. Spoon over some of the cream mixture and repeat until the glass is full, finishing with a layer of the cream. Decorate the top with any remaining crushed biscuits and strawberries.
- Chill until ready to serve.