Potato Gnocchi with Tomato Sauce
- 750 g Bintje potatoes
- 2 egg yolks
- Plain Flour
- sea salt
- freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Garlic Cloves thinly sliced
- 4 ripe Tomatoes chopped
- 2 tablespoons Basil thinly sliced
- Cook whole unpeeled potatoes in boiling salted water for about 25 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- When cool enough to handle but still warm, peel potatoes and pass through a mouli or ricer. It is important potato is still warm at this stage.
- Place potato on a clean work surface; add egg yolks and about ½ cup plain flour.
- Fold mixture together working towards the centre, gradually adding more flour if mixture is too wet.
- Be careful not to add too much flour as the more flour added the firmer the gnocchi will be.
- Once gnocchi mixture has come together rest for 5 minutes.
- Cut gnocchi mixture in quarters and on a lightly floured surface roll each piece into a sausage shape about 2cm in diameter, then cut into 3cm pieces.
- Place gnocchi on a wooden board or floured tray.
- At this stage gnocchi can be covered with a damp tea towel and left for 1-2 hours.
- For tomato sauce, heat extra virgin olive oil in a frying pan, add garlic and sea salt to taste and cook over low heat for 2-3 minutes until pale golden.
- Add tomatoes and cook gently for 4-5 minutes.
- Add basil and stir well.
- Meanwhile, cook gnocchi in gently boiling salted water for 2-3 minutes or until gnocchi floats.
- Drain gnocchi and place in pasta bowls, spoon sauce over and scatter with freshly grated Parmesan.