Crab and Asparagus Fettuccine
Serves 4 to 5
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1 tsp soft thyme leaves
- 2 tsp anchovy essence
- 150ml/¼ pint dry white wine
- 150ml/¼ pint fish stock
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 450g/1lb asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2.5cm/1in pieces
- 350g/12oz white crab meat
- 675g1½lb fresh fettuccine
- 55g/2oz unsalted butter
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed frying pan.
- Add the shallot and cook gently until soft but not brown.
- Add the thyme, anchovy essence, wine and fish stock and bring to the boil.
- Cook until the liquid has reduced by half.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to the boil.
- Add the asparagus and cook for six minutes.
- Drain, retaining the water, and add the reduced shallot liquid with the crab.
- Cook the fettuccine in the asparagus water for about 3-4 minutes, depending on the freshness.
- Drain and add to the crab sauce.
- To finish, heat the butter in a frying pan until nutty and golden.
- Add the lemon juice and the parsley and pour over the pasta.
- Toss to combine. Season to taste with plenty of black pepper.