Vietnamese Crab Salad with Rice Noodles
- 50g (2oz) sugar, or more to taste
- 50ml (2oz) fish sauce
- 50ml (2fl oz) lemon or lime juice
- 1-2 small chillies, seeded and sliced finely
- 2 cloves of crushed or finely grated garlic
- 2 tsp finely grated ginger
- 125g (4oz) thin or medium rice noodles, softened by sitting in a bowl of boiling water for 5 minutes, drained and rinsed
- 300g (10oz) cooked crab meat (brown and white meat if possible)
- 300g (10oz) cucumber, deseeded and chopped
- 150g (5oz) radishes, trimmed and sliced
- 75g (3oz) peanuts, toasted under a hot grill until golden , then skins rubbed off (and blown away outside), and chopped roughly
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- Mix all the ingredients for the dressing. In a bowl, toss together the dressing with the drained noodles, then add the brown crab meat (if using), the cucumber and the radishes and toss.
- Place on a serving plate or shallow bowl.
- Sprinkle over the white crab meat, the toasted peanuts and the chopped coriander and serve.