- 1.5kg (3lb 5oz) free range chicken
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 115g (4 oz) smoked streaky bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic bulb
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 celery stalks, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 carrots, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 12 new potatoes, washed
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 400g (14oz) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 900ml (1 ½ pint) chicken or vegetable stock
- 225g (8oz) broccoli florets
- salt and ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas Mark 5.
- Place a large casserole dish over a high heat on the hob, add the olive oil and when hot, add the chicken to the dish, turning occasionally until brown all over.
- Remove and set aside.
- Add the bacon to the casserole dish and fry for a few minutes then add the onion, garlic, celery, carrots, potatoes, thyme and bay leaves.
- Pour in the chopped tomatoes and add the Worcestershire sauce.
- Sir in all the ingredients together then add the chicken stock.
- Return the chicken to the casserole dish and bring to the boil. Put the lid on the casserole and cook in the oven for 1 hour.
- Add the broccoli 15 minutes before the end of cooking.
- Remove and carve the chicken, spoon the vegetables and broth into bowls and top with the chicken.