Chicken Livers in Mustard Sauce on Sage Croutons
- 12 fresh chicken livers, trimmed
- 50g (2oz) butter
- 75ml (½ glass) white wine
- 125ml (4fl oz) chicken stock
- 1tbsp grain mustard
- 1tbsp chopped parsley
- 4 slices white bread
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh sage
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- Salt & pepper
- Check and trim the chicken livers.
- Heat frying pan until hot, then add half the butter.
- Add the livers and colour well on both sides and take out, drain and keep warm.
- Add the white wine and reduce by 2/3.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil, then take off the heat.
- Add the mustard and parsley and stir in the remaining butter.
- Return the chicken livers to the sauce and heat through.
- Meanwhile, stamp 4cm circles from the sliced bread and place on a baking tray.
- Stir the sage into the olive oil and brush over the bread.
- Place into the oven for 5 minutes until lightly golden.
- Lift out each liver and place one on each of the toasted bread pieces.
- Sprinkle each one with chopped chives and serve.