Serves 4 to 6
- 1 small carrot
- 1 small Red Onion finely sliced
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 cup brown rice Vinegar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 small Cucumber cut in half lengthways
- ½ cup finely shredded savoy Cabbage
- 3 spring onions scallions, trimmed and cut into thin strips
- 1/3 cup Mint leaf
- 1/3 cup coriander leaf cilantro
- 1/3 cup Dill leaves
- 3 red Cherry Tomatoes cut in half
- 3 yellow Cherry Tomatoes cut in half
- 1 tablespoon tamari or light soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon Sesame Oil
- 1 tablespoon brown rice Vinegar
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel carrot, then slice finely lengthways into ribbons.
- Cut carrot ribbons into thin strips and place in a bowl with half the salt, then mix well. Place onion slices in a separate bowl with remaining salt and mix well.
- Set carrot and onion aside for 1 hour.
- Combine vinegar and sugar in a small heavy-based saucepan and stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Simmer, uncovered and without stirring, for about 10 minutes, or until reduced and slightly syrupy. Set aside to cool.
- Drain carrot and onion and, using your hands, gently squeeze out any excess liquid. Place carrot and onion in the cooled syrup to pickle them lightly.
- Using a vegetable peeler, finely slice cucumber lengthways into ribbons and then cut these into thin strips. In a large bowl, combine cucumber with pickled carrot, onion and all remaining ingredients, using your hands to mix thoroughly.
- To make the dressing, combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Spoon dressing over salad and serve on a platter.