Serves 4 to 6
- 600 g chicken thigh fillets cut into 1cm cubes
- 2 tablespoons Cornflour cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons shao hsing wine
- 2 tablespoons Peanut Oil
- 10 small dried Red chilli's
- 2 tablespoons Peanut Oil extra
- 5 cm piece of Ginger cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ cup unsalted Roasted peanut
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon chinese black vinegar
- 1 Pinch of Sichuan salt and pepper
- Combine chicken with cornflour and shao hsing wine in a bowl. Cover, place in refrigerator and leave to marinate for 1 hour.
- Place oil and chillies in a cold wok and then turn heat to low. Cook for about 1½ minutes or until chillies begin to darken slightly. Using a slotted spoon, immediately remove chillies and drain on kitchen paper.
- Leaving chilli-infused oil in wok, turn heat up to high and stir-fry half the chicken cubes for 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon. Add extra oil to wok with remaining chicken and stir-fry for 3 minutes. Return all chicken to wok, along with ginger and reserved chillies and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Add sugar and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add peanuts, soy sauce and vinegar and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Serve immediately, sprinkled with Sichuan pepper and salt.