Meringue with cream and summer fruit
- 5 x 160g egg whites
- 265 g caster sugar
- 1½ teaspoons Cornflour
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla paste
- 1½ teaspoons white wine vinegar
- Cream for whipping
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- In the bowl of the mixer on low speed start to whisk the whites with a pinch of salt.
- As they start to break up, increase to med-low.
- Once they start to firm a little, add a third of the sugar and whisk till stiff peaks.
- Once they have reached their maximum volume, very gradually sprinkle in the remaining sugar.
- Once all the sugar has been added, increase the speed to high and let whisk for a couple of minutes.
- Remove from the machine and fold through the cornflour, vanilla and vinegar.
- Spread onto a paper lined tray, and form into a triangle or if you prefer, make a round, about 8-10cm in diameter.
- Reduce the oven temp to 160C and put the meringue in.
- Bake for 25 minutes then turn the oven off and leave for 10 minutes before removing from the oven.
- Serve on a beautiful platter or cake stand with whipped cream and diced stone fruit and berries.