- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil plus extra for drizzling
- 1 medium Onion chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 2 Stalks Celery chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 14 1/2-ounce) can diced Tomato
- 1 lb Lentil approximately 1 1/4 cups
- 11 cups low salt Chicken Broth
- 6 sprigs fresh Thyme
- 2/3 cup dried elbow Pasta
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan
- Heat the oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, and celery. Add the garlic, salt, and pepper and saute until all the vegetables are tender, about 5 to 8 minutes. Add the tomatoes with their juices. Simmer until the juices evaporate a little and the tomatoes break down, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Add the lentils and mix to coat. Add the broth and stir. Add the thyme sprigs. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and simmer over low heat until the lentils are almost tender, about 30 minutes.
- Stir in the pasta. Simmer until the pasta is tender but still firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Sprinkle with the Parmesan, drizzle with olive oil, and serve.