- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3 Onions peeled and chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic peeled and chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock or water
- 2 large Potatoes peeled and grated
- 1 head Broccoli stems cut into chunks and florets reserved
- Salt & Pepper
- A large pinch of Nutmeg
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Place a 4 quart pot over medium-high heat and add oil.
- When it's hot, add onions and sauté until they have softened.
- Add garlic and continue to sauté for another minute. Add stock, grated potatoes and broccoli stems.
- Season with salt and pepper and simmer until they are tender and potatoes have broken down.
- Add nutmeg and adjust seasoning and puree with an immersion blender or in a food processor.
- Reheat soup prior to serving and add reserved broccoli florets and cheddar cheese.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes, until cheese has melted and florets are tender and bright green.
- Serve hot.