Oven-baked risotto with mushrooms and thyme
- 25 g dried Mushrooms such as porcini or a mixture of types
- 400 ml boiling Water
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 small Onion peeled and chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic peeled and crushed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 350 g Risotto Rice such as carnaroli or arborio
- 1 teaspoon fresh Thyme leaves, chopped
- 750 ml hot vegetable stock or chicken stock
- 125 ml white wine
- 75 g Parmesan Cheese grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh Thyme leaves
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Place the dried mushrooms in a bowl, add the boiling water to the bowl and leave to soak for ten minutes. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a medium sized ovenproof saucepan or casserole dish and cook the onion and garlic for a few minutes until soft and a little golden. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Drain the excess liquid from the mushrooms into a clean bowl. Chop the mushrooms, and add them to the garlic and onions along with the rice, chopped thyme and mushroom-soaking liquid. Pour the stock and the wine into the pan and bring the mixture to the boil. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cover with the mixture with a lid and place it in the oven. Cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the rice has just cooked and all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir in 50g/2oz of the grated parmesan.
- To serve, sprinkle with the remaining parmesan and thyme leaves.