- ½ cup Olive Oil
- 1 bunch chopped scallion (white and green parts)
- 2 x 10 ounce boxes of frozen spinach (defrosted) or use fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Dill
- 3 extra large Eggs lightly beaten
- 7 oz Feta cheese, crumbled
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 40 sheets frozen filo pastry (defrosted overnight in the refrigerator)
- ½ lb unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup dry breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat the olive oil in a saute pan and add the scallions. Cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Meanwhile, squeeze most of the water out of the spinach and place it in a bowl. Add the scallions, dill, eggs, feta, salt, and pepper and mix together.
- Keep the phyllo dough sheets covered with a damp kitchen towel. Unfold 1 sheet of the phyllo dough. Brush the sheet with melted butter and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Repeat the process by laying a second sheet of phyllo dough over the first sheet, brush it with melted butter and sprinkle with breadcrumbs until all 10 sheets have been used. Spoon 3/4 cup of the spinach mixture into a sausage shape along one edge of the phyllo dough. Roll it up. Brush the top with butter and score the roll into 1-inch rounds. Place it on an oiled baking sheet. Repeat until all the pastry and filling have been used.
- Place in the oven and bake for 12 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Serve warm.