Calamari With Lemon Mayonnaise
- 700 g fresh Squids cut into rings of about 2.5cm
- 570 ml Milk
- 300 g Plain Flour
- 1 teaspoon Paprika or cayenne pepper
- vegetable oil
- juice of 1 unwaxed Lemon
- 280 ml mayonnaise
- Pull the squid apart and cut just in front of the beak. Throw the beak away, but keep the tentacles. Remove the plastic film from inside the squid’s body. Cut the squid into rings no bigger than 2.5cm. Alternatively, ask your fishmonger to prepare them for you.
- Put the squid rings into a bowl and add the milk.
- Take the rings out and shake off the excess milk.
- Mix the paprika or cayenne pepper into the flour and dip the rings in so they are lightly coated.
- Heat the vegetable oil to 160–170ºC/ 325ºF. (Use about 10 cm (4") of oil in a pan 25 cm (10") high. Alternatively, use a deep-fat fryer.)
- Deep fry the floured rings until golden brown.
- Add the lemon juice to the mayonnaise and stir in.
- Serve the calamari rings immediately with the lemon mayonnaise.