Roman-Style Braised Artichokes (CARCIOFI ALLA ROMANA)
- of one Lemon
- 6 Cloves Garlic
- 4 large Artichokes with stems
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped Flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped Mint
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups good chicken stock or vegetable
- 4 small whole dried peperoncino peppers or 1 teaspoon crushed
- Cut the lemon and squeeze the lemon juice into one quart of water.
- With a sharp paring knife, pull off the tough outside leaves of the artichokes, proceeding from the bottom to the top and cutting off the top third.
- Peel the stem and place the artichoke in the lemon water. Keep in lemon water until you finish cleaning all the artichokes. Remove the artichoke from the water, drain it well and pat it dry with a towel.
- In a deep pan, where the artichokes fit snugly, set them with their stems up. Add all the remaining ingredients and bring to boil. Let simmer for 30 minutes, covered, then serve in a soup plate with juices from the pan.