- 900 g Leeks
- 1 shallot minced
- 3 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 125 ml Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Lemon Zest
- Trim the root end of the leeks, and cut off the tops just above where the dark green starts.
- Make a slit in the top of each leek and rinse thoroughly in cold water, getting out any grit.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Salt it.
- Tie the leeks in bundles and cook until tender, about 10 minutes, depending on their size.
- Drain and rinse under ice-cold water to preserve their colour.
- Drain thoroughly, and refrigerate until about an hour before serving.
- For the vinaigrette, macerate the shallot in the vinegar (enough to cover) for 10 minutes.
- Drain off the vinegar.
- Stir the oil into the shallots, and season well.
- Taste, adding more oil or vinegar, as needed, to balance the taste.
- Arrange the leeks on a serving platter.
- Spoon over the vinaigrette, shave over lemon zest, and grind over pepper.
- Serve with anchovy toasts.