- 300 g dried chick peas
- 1 medium chopped Onion
- 1 Clove chopped Garlic
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 sprig Thyme
- 1 Pinch of Cumin
- 1 Pinch of Paprika
- chicken stock or water
- Salt & Pepper
- Olive Oil
- A day ahead, spill the chickpeas into a large bowl, cover generously with cold water, and soak overnight.
- Drain the chickpeas.
- Put them in a pot with the onion, garlic, and herbs.
- Add the pinches of spices if you like.
- Do not add salt.
- Cover, just, with chicken stock or water.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer gently until very tender, about 40 minutes.
- Pluck out the herbs.
- Blend the chickpeas smooth.
- Strain (or put through a food mill) into a saucepan.
- Reheat, taste, and adjust the seasonings.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with a dribble of olive oil.