- 4 egg whites
- 1 Pinch of Salt
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla or orange flower water or maple extract
- 1/8 teaspoon Cream of tartar
- 140 g Sugar
- 85 g icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- Whip the whites and salt into peaks, add the vanilla, and continue beating to stiff peaks.
- Stir the cream of tartar into the regular sugar and whisk into the whites very gradually, a spoonful at a time, until the meringue is stiff and the sugar has dissolved.
- Sift together the icing sugar and cornstarch.
- Sift over the meringue and gently fold until fully incorporated.
- Pipe or spoon the meringues onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake at about 225ºF/110ºC until cream-coloured and crisp on top when tapped, 1 to 1-1/2 hours.
- Remove from the oven.
- Cool on the trays.
- Store in an air-tight container.