Serves 8 to 10
- 1L custard, store bought is fine
- 1 packet of jelly, strawberry, blackcurrant or raspberry
- 500g of mixed fruit, either tinned or fresh
- 1 packet of jam rolls
- 100g dark chocolate, grated
- Packet of almonds
- Punnet of fresh strawberries
- 300ml fresh cream
- First, make the layer of jelly that will sit at the bottom of your beautiful trifle bowl of approximately 20cm in diameter and 10cm deep. Follow instructions on the packet, however the jelly will take at least four hours to set, so factor this into your timing.
- Once the jelly is set, make the custard, according to packet instructions, and allow to cool, but not set.
- As the custard cools, slice the jam rolls into thirds and drain the mixed fruit.
- Place a layer of drained fruit on top of the jelly. Then layer half the jam rolls and coat, but not smother, with brandy. Finally, add a layer of custard. Repeat this process, so that there are two layers in total, ensuring you leave enough space on top of the bowl for a layer of whipped cream.
- Whip the cream to soft peaks.
- Use a spatula to finish the trifle with a layer of whipped cream and decorate with the fanned strawberries, almonds or grated chocolate.