- 4 eggs, separated
- ½ cup (110g) caster sugar, plus extra, for dusting
- ½ cup (75g) cornflour
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon honey, at room temperature
- Honey cream filling
- 90g unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 180°C or 160°C fan. Lightly grease and line base and sides of a 26cm x 32cm swiss roll pan.
- Using an electric mixer, beat eggwhites until stiff but not dry. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating constantly until mixture is thick and glossy. Beat in egg yolks until just mixed.
- Meanwhile, finely sift cornflour, flour, spices and baking powder. Lightly fold into egg mixture with honey, mixing gently until evenly distributed. Fill prepared pan shaking gently to spread mixture evenly.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until risen and firm when lightly pressed with a fingertip. Turn out onto a tea towel lightly dusted with extra caster sugar. Quickly peel off paper and trim edges. Roll up immediately in tea towel starting from short edge. Leave to cool completely.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter until pale and creamy. Add honey and beat until well mixed. Add 2 tablespoons water and continue beating until mixture is smooth and creamy. Unroll cake and spread over filling. Roll up again and serve cut across into slices.