- 400g lentils
- 2 litres water
- 6 tablespoons clarified butter or (ghee)
- ¾ cup onions, sliced
- 2 dried red chillies, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic, chopped
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon jimbu (Nepalese spice)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger slices or paste
- 400g basmati or long grain rice
- 2 teaspoons butter
- Wash lentils and soak for 10 minutes. Remove lentils that float to the surface and drain. Add drained lentils to 1 litre of fresh water and bring to the boil.
- In a small pan, heat clarified butter and fry onions, chillies and garlic. Add onion mix to boiling lentils. Add salt, spices and ginger paste. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes, until lentils have a thick, soft consistency.
- Wash rice and soak in 1 litre of water for 5 minutes. Boil rice over medium heat for 10-15 minutes. Stir once thoroughly. Add butter and stir again.Turn the heat to low and cook, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Serve rice and lentils in separate dishes, with a side of salad, chutney and roasted papadums.