Bo La Lot – Beef and Lemongrass Wrapped in Betel Leaf
- 1kg beef mince
- 3 lemongrass stems, white part only, finely chopped
- 8 spring onions, white part only, finely chopped
- 1 bunch coriander roots, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons fine white pepper
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 bunches betel leaves
- Combine all ingredients except the betel in a bowl and mix well. Allow the flavours to infuse for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, pick the individual leaves and wash in cold water. Lay the leaves flat on a cloth to dry.
- To form the rolls, lay two betel leaves shiny side down, on a board with the stem of the leaf pointing towards you. Spoon approximately 1 tablespoon of the beef mixture onto the bottom half of the leaf. Work it into a sausage shape, then roll the leaf from bottom to top and place the seam flat on your bench to stop the leaf unrolling, or secure it with a toothpick. Repeat this process until you have used all of the beef. The mixture should make about 40 rolls.
- Cook the parcels, seam first, on a char grill or barbecue hotplate over medium heat, turning to colour all over, for about 5 minutes, or until done.