Crème Caramel or “Flan Flan”
- 250g sugar
- 4 tbsp water
- 400g condensed milk
- 150 ml milk
- 150ml cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 vanilla bean
- Mix the water and the castor sugar and bring to a gentle simmer over a moderate heat.
- The syrup will begin to thicken and become syrupy as it heats keep and eye on it at this stage.
- As it starts to tinge a little amber in colour remove from the stove and allow to darken further off the heat.
- Pour into the flan mould and reserve aside.
- Mix the yolks, milks and vanilla in a bowl, be carefull not to aerate or create bubbles.
- Pour into the mould ontop of the caramel.
- Place into a water bath, fill the half way up the mould with hot water.
- Place in a pre heated oven at 150°c for 35 minutes or until when tapped the custard will only wobble once.
- Pierce the centre of the custard with a knife if it comes out clean remove from the oven.
- Cool and refrigerate until totally cold.
- Run a knife around the edge of the mould and invert the flan dish over a plate.
- The custard will come out of the mould easily if the air is released.