- 100 g self raising flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 100 ml iced water
- ¼ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 3 tablespoons rice flour
- 4 Granny Smith apples, peeled decored, cut into wedges (keep in a bowl with lemon juice & zest if preparing in advance)
- 50 ml water
- 200 g caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 large bowl of water with lots of ice
- Preheat a deep fryer or oil in a wok to 180°C.
- Sift the self-raising flour into a bowl and make a well in the centre, place the egg and water into the bowl and beat until well combined and smooth. Set aside for 15 minutes.
- Place the rice flour in bowl. Dry the apple slices and coat them with the rice flour, followed by the batter. Cook a few pieces of apple at a time in the oil for 2 minutes then drain on kitchen paper. Repeat this with the remaining pieces.
- Place the water and sugar together in a large saucepan and stir them together. Place the sugar over a high heat and allow to simmer without stirring until the sugar has dissolved and is a light golden brown. Remove from the heat and stir in the sesame seeds. Toss the apple in the toffee to coat, scoop them out one with a large perforated spoon and drop them in the iced water to set. Place on a serving plate and serve at once.