- 1 kg beetroot
- 500 gm onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tbsp rock salt
- 1 tspn mustard seeds
- 1 tspn coriander seeds
- 1 tspn allspice berries, crushed
- freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup plain flour (optional)
- Cook the beetroot in a pot of boiling water until tender. When cool enough to handle, peel and coarsely chop.
- Combine the beetroot and onion with vinegar, sugar, salt, the spices and pepper. Then transfer the mixture to a pot and gently simmer for about 30 mins. (If the mixture is too thin, combine the flour with a little water, before mixing it in and cooking for another 10 mins or so.)
- Pack the chutney into clean, hot jars when cool.