Corn and Shrimp Fritters with Cucumber Remoulade
- 1 cup finely grated cucumber
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp fine salt
- 1 cup yogurt
- 2 Tbsp chopped capers
- 2 Tbsp chopped dill pickle (or dill pickle relish)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup finely diced onion
- ¾ cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- dash black pepper
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 ½ cups cooked baby shrimp, thawed and drained
- vegetable oil, for frying
- For remoulade, stir cucumber, sugar and salt and let sit in a strainer over a bowl for 30 minutes. Squeeze out excess liquid, stir in yogurt, capers and dill pickle and chill until ready to serve.
- For fritters, heat oil in a small sauté pan over medium heat and add onion. Sauté onion for 5 minutes until translucent, then add corn and thyme and sauté until corn is tender, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat to cool.
- Stir together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and pepper. In a separate bowl, whisk egg and milk. Add egg mixture to flour mixture and stir just until blended. Fold in cooled corn mixture, then stir in shrimp.
- Heat enough oil to come up 2-inches in a heavy-bottomed, deep pot to 375F (190C). Drop fritter batter by tablespoonfuls gently into oil and fry until deep golden brown, turning once (about 6 minutes). Remove to paper towel to drain and serve warm with remoulade.