Spring Pea Soup with Mint
Serves 10 to 12
- 1 Tbsp butter or olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped leeks (white and light green part only)
- 2 cups peeled and diced Yukon Gold potato
- splashdry vermouth
- 8 cups (2 litres) chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 cups fresh frozen green peas
- 2 sprigs each fresh thyme, mint and tarragon
- salt & pepper
- sour cream or crème fraiche, for garnish
- In a large pot, heat butter or oil over medium heat. Add leeks and sweat, stirring often, until soft, about 6 minutes. Add potato, vermouth and chicken stock and bring up to a simmer. Cook until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Add peas and sprigs of herb (tie them with a string to keep them together). Bring just up to a simmer, remove herbs and purée soup until smooth. Strain for a smoother soup (optional) then season to taste and serve immediately garnished with sour cream or crème fraiche.
- Alternatively, this soup is lovely served chilled topped with baby shrimp, crab or chopped avocado.