Fish and Chips with Homemade Tartare Sauce
- 2 pieces gurnard per person
- Pepper and salt
- 2 shallots finely chopped
- 4 gherkins- finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of capers- roughly chopped
- Small bunch of tarragon- chopped
- Small bunch of chives- chopped
- Small bunch of parsley- chopped
- 1 hard boiled egg- grated
- 1 lemon
- Rock salt
- Homemade mayonnaise
- Two egg yolks
- 300-400ml vegetable oil
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Lemon juice
- 250g strong lour
- 200g rice flour
- 50g corn flour
- 20g salt
- 20 fresh yeast
- 20g sugar
- 625ml beer
- Firstly to make the make the mayonnaise.
- Put the two egg yolks and mustard into a bowl and whisk together, gently pour in the vegetable oil whisking continually.
- The idea is to slowly pour the oil, while whisking continually. The mixture will emulsify, thicken and be yellow in colour.
- Taste to check seasoning, adjust to flavour
- Finish by whisking a little extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice into the mixture.
- Check seasoning and adjust, it may need a little more salt or some lemon juice.
- In a large bowl mix all the ingredients together, squeeze some lemon into the bowl and mix.
- Check seasoning and adjust if necessary.
- Mix all the ingredients whisk in the beer.
- Leave in a warm place for 1 hour.
- The batter is now ready to use.
Deep Fried Fish:
- Heat some oil in a deep fat fryer, take out the basket.
- Dust the fish in seasoned flour.
- Put the fish in to the beer batter and make sure that all the fish is covered in batter.
- Gently lay the fish into the heated oil one or two pieces at a time. Allow to cook for 5-6 minutes until golden.
- Remove with a tongs and drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve with chips and homemade tartar sauce.