Vegan Paella with smoked tofu & green asparagus
- 350g brown rice
- 200g smoked Organic tofu
- 1 bunch of green asparagus
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 100g chick peas
- 100g kidney beans
- 50g diced onion
- 2 cloves of chopped garlic
- 50g diced carrot
- 50g diced aubergine
- 50g diced fennel
- 5 mushrooms diced
- 50g of diced peppers
- A chilli chopped
- 100g roughly chopped parsley
- 20ml olive oil
- The best way to start any meal is in the preperation so get all your veg washed and peel everything. Have a good work area to work on near the cooker.
- And of course clean as you go. It makes what you think of the chore of cooking a joy to eat because you don't have to face all those dirty pots at the end.
- So you have all your veg washed and peeled, now you need to cut all the veg into small pieces and place into bowls keeping the onions separate, now chop your garlic roughly and put with the onion.
- Take your chilli and split lengthways and remove the seeds with your knife by running it down the chilli. Take the asparagus and snap it into 2inch pieces, and the tofu just cut into large triangles.
- Warm your frying pan and add the olive oil, throw in the onions, garlic and chilli and cook slowly for 3-4 min.
- Then add the carrots, aubergine, mushroom, peppers and fennel and cook for another 3-4 mins. Now add your rice and stir into vegetables for 3-4mins, add the stock.
- Once you see the stock start to bubble turn it down and add the chick peas and kidney beans, keep stirring and adding the stock as it is needed, the paella will take about 10-15 mins to cook at this stage.
- Just before the paella is ready add your tofu and the green asparagus . Taste to see if the paella needs salt & pepper and if it does add it a little at a time.
- Remember if you add too much salt and pepper you can't take it back out.
- Finish the dish by adding your chopped parsley. Set the table and enjoy your vegan delight.