For the 'Ultimate Brunch' episode of Perfect, Charita Jones whips up this American-inspired recipe.
For the corn beef hash::
Put the potatoes in a large pan and bring to a boil. Cook until soft but not falling apart. Drain well.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the onions and garlic and fry gently until softened.
Add the potatoes, salt and pepper and Cajun seasoning. Cook until the potatoes begin to get a light crust on them then add the corn beef folding over and cook for about 5 minutes.
Add the cherry tomatoes and place under a hot grill to crisp the dish up a bit more.
For the Cornbread::
Place butter into the baking tin and put in a preheated oven at gas mark 6.
Remove once melted and set aside. Turn the oven down to gas mark 4.
Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl and make a well in the centre.
Add the eggs, milk and melted butter. Combine ingredients using a wooden spoon, working fast so the butter doesn’t harden. Pour the mixture into the warm baking tin and put in oven.
Cook for 25 minutes or until the bread has risen and is golden brown.
• Always check your cornmeal for rancidity before baking. Rancid cornmeal will smell stale and musty; good cornmeal will have a sweeter smell.
• When mixing batter for cornbread or muffins, put away your electric mixer. Mixing by hand helps eliminate over mixing. It is desirable to have a few lumps in the batter. They will hydrate during baking and the lumps will help give a craggy appearance to your breads.
• Once moistened, work quickly with the batter. The moisture will activate the leaveners in the batter.
• Cornbread does not keep well. It is best used on the day baked. Store leftovers wrapped in plastic and then aluminum foil and placed in the refrigerator. Cornbread can be frozen for six weeks.
• Use old-process cornmeal instead of degerminated cornmeal when available. Cornmeal with the germ should be stored in the refrigerator for up to six months. If you have more old-process cornmeal than you will use in six months, freeze part of it. It will keep in the freezer for over a year.
• If you are making cornmeal for stuffing, it can be baked up to three days ahead. Crumble it and keep it an airtight bag. Consider adding sage to cornbread batter.
• Consider substituting whole wheat flour for white flour. With the grainy nature of cornmeal, your kids won’t even know that you slipped whole wheat in on them.
• Consider sugar a variable. A sweeter cornmeal will have 1/4 cup sugar or more for every one cup of flour and one cup of cornmeal. Many southern style cornbreads have little or no sugar.
• When making corn muffins (or any muffins), partially fill any empty tins with water. The moisture will improve the muffins, the tins will heat more evenly, and cleanup is easier.
• Many of us love crusty cornbread. A dark pan will make crustier cornbread than a light pan. For the crustiest cornbread, use a skillet.
• Typical recipes call for cornmeal and flour in a one-to-one ratio. Some skillet cornbreads omit the flour and use extra eggs. These cornbreads are not only very good, they are good for you and an option for those who are gluten intolerant
» Metric Converter
In Home Furnishing decoration, make the indoor furniture and various decorations with black and white canvas painting, it is often can achieve some far-reaching effect beyond expectations. The use of black and white canvas painting is very important, the use of black and white canvas painting in different styles also are not identical. modern simple style black and white canvas painting can show new art home furnishing decorative for you. A high quality black and white canvas painting can improve the home furnishing taste and home furnishing environment, also let you maintain a good mood every day. Elegant style subvert the traditional design concept with a natural attitude become a view of quiet corner space. From this modern simple style black and white canvas painting exhibition, you can feel a little abstract charm. split canvas painting form a abstract means tower, give a person a kind of very exaggerated feeling, but is so harmonious, stereo sense, enhancing the whole home furnishing artistic atmosphere. The simple lines of black and white canvas paintings expressed s profound artistic conception. Simple branches appear elegant, natural and harmonious, add some fashionable breath for space; the branches covered with red is a symbol of beauty and love, black and white is the symbol of eternity, three in one combination is a symbol of eternal love and beauty. Modern simple style black and white canvas painting make a perfect combination with modern simplicity, fashion and exquisite . the canvas painting add into the European and American fashion elements, the original simple frame art; the original picture, clear and delicate, like the original reproduction, the ultimate decoration experience just to meet you requirement to pursuit the exquisite life
» 20h ago
» 20h ago