Paul Merrett serves up the ultimate in indulgent and homely dessert recipes - the crumble.
Put the apple dice into a hottish pan. Add half the caster sugar and a spoonful of water if it looks like catching or sticking. Cook the apple for two minutes until just cooked (it will still have a crisp centre) Turn out the apple mix and allow to cool.
Now add in the rhubarb and the other half of sugar, just as the fruit starts to simmer pour it into a strainer. Save the rhubarb fruit and mix with the apple (You can drink the juice when cold with iced vodka)
Bung all the crumble ingredients apart from the oats in a food processor and blend till bread crumb like, then add oats and mix with a spoon
Three quarters fill a dish with your fruit mix
Lightly pour on lots of crumble topping so that it finishes higher than the edge of the dish – don’t pack it down
Bake at 170C until golden brown, for approx 20 minutes then remove from the oven and let sit for a couple of minutes, serve with the ice cream, cream and custard
• Check the sugar level in the fruit when it is cooked, you will need to adjust depending on how tart the fruit is.
• If you don’t have a food processor make the crumble topping by hand.
• You can use any fruit in a crumble just make sure its in season.
• Don’t pack the crumble tightly or it will become doughy and uncooked when you bake it.
• I make a big batch of the topping and freeze it for future crumbles – this is a batch recipe so will do 3-4 crumbles I expect.
» Metric Converter
An effective acne treatment needs to have the right ingredients. Some of the most effective ingredients for fighting acne are benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid. Sulfur is also another ingredient being used. Make sure that your acne treatment product has these mentioned ingredients as it indicates its effectiveness...
» 4h ago