» Print Recipe
Dahi Vada can just as easily be a main dish on a hot day as it can be the perfect accompaniment to other meat or vegetable dishes on a special occassion. You can also eat it as a snack!
• Soak the urad daal in a bowl of water overnight. Grind it into a paste the next morning. Do not add any water while grinding.
• Add the green chillies and ginger to this paste.
• Mix 1 cup of yoghurt with 2 cups of water and salt to taste. Keep aside.
• In another bowl mix the remaining yoghurt with the red chilli powder, chaat masala, cumin powder, sugar and salt to taste. Mix well. Keep aside.
• Heat oil for deep frying on a medium flame. Grease your palms with oil and put 1 tbsp of the lentil mix in your palm. Make into a donut shape (these are the vadas).
• Slide each vada into the hot oil and fry till light golden. Drain and put immediately into the yoghurt/water mix. Allow to soak for 2-3 minutes.
• Remove from the yoghurt/water mix and press gently between your palms. Arrange these vadas in a deep platter as you prepare them.
• When all urad daal paste is used up and the the vadas are done as above and in the platter, pour the thick yoghurt mix over them to cover completely.
• Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and chill in the refrigerator for a few hours before serving.
• To serve, put 1 or 2 Dahi Vadas in a plate and garnish with Tamarind Chutney and green Mint-coriander Chutney.
» Metric Converter