Everyone has an opinion on how to make the best pizzas, but who better to ask than Doughboy’s Tony Overall? Doughboy have grown to seven stores around Sydney and have developed a cult following for authentic, thin crust pizzas. Here are Tony’s top seven tips for the ultimate pizza.
1. Get the dough right by making it yourself
• The water should be warm (not hot)
• Mix the yeast and sugar into the water together at the same time
• Leave for 20 minutes
• Only ever add salt when you add the flour
• Add plenty of olive oil at the end
2. Let your dough rise twice
• Don’t refrigerate your dough
• Leave it out in the sun to rise
• Knock the dough down and let it rise again
• Your dough is ready!
3. Get the right ingredients
• Use quality mozzarella or bocconcini cheese
4. Use the best quality smallgoods for the topping
• You don’t need a lot!
5. Use a covered BBQ instead of an oven
• If you can get one they are much hotter
• If you can get your BBQ hot enough, you don’t need a pizza stone
6. Turn a roasting dish upside down and sit your pizzas on top of that
• Otherwise, the bottoms of your pizza will burn while the top of the pizza cooks
• Make sure you generously oil your pizza trays
7. A pizza is never finished when it’s cooked
• To top your pizza off, it needs pesto or garlic oil, fresh basil, fresh rocket, yummy cheeses and some delicious Doughboy chilli oil!