Brush up on the basics with this simple guide to chopping onions.
1. Start by slicing the onion in half through the stalk.
2. Using a knife blade to help you, peel the skin off each half of the onion.
3. Place the cut side down on the board and slice downwards away from the root, but try to leave the root intact.
4. Keep slicing, trying to space each slice around 1-5mm apart, or more or less depending on how fine you like your slices.
5. Next make 1 or 2 diagonal cuts down towards the root of the onion.
6. Finally, slice the onion parallel to the root, and keep slicing until all the onion is chopped.
Check out this delicious vegetable soup recipe as featured on Cookery School.