Winter demands soup n' chewy sourdough from one of Sydney's best organic bakers
1. Bourke Street Bakery || 633 Bourke St. Surry Hills. Ph: (02) 9699 1011; 474 Gardeners Rd. Alexandria. Ph: (02) 8339 1001; 2 Mitchell St. Marrickville. Ph: (02) 9569 3225. bourkestreetbakery.com.au
This bakery should be at the top of everyone’s list for those lucky enough to have these dotted around Sydney. The line down the street should alert you to the popularity but really it is amazing baked goods that does it. At the top of the organic baked goods is the chewy sourdough loaf, but the pork and fennel sausage rolls are a Sydney favourite.
2. Bowan Island Bakery || 183 Victoria Rd. Drummoyne. Ph: (02) 9181 3524; Cnr Queen & Williams Street. Five Dock. Ph: (02) 9747 0484; 2/108 Warrane Rd. Chatswood. Ph: (02) 9882 3525. bowanislandbakery.com.au
Sydney’s oldest sourdough bakery now has three stores that bake their famous organic breads and pastries. The savoury Monterey jack cheese muffins or chocolate babkas are worth a visit, and don’t forget to pick up a loaf of the city’s only organic ciabatta.
3. St Malo Bakery || 83 Willoughby Rd. Crows Nest. Ph: (02) 9906 6256. stmalobakery.com
North Shore locals have been won over by St Malo’s combination of artisan techniques and organic ingredients with French inspired recipes. The massive range of baguettes, croissants, spelt loaves and sweet fruit tarts are all absolute winners.
4. Sonoma || 241 Glenmore Rd. Paddington. Ph: (02) 9331 3601; 215 Glebe Point Rd. Glebe. Ph: (02) 9660 2116; 2/9 Dank St. Waterloo. Ph: (02) 9699 1920; R10, 178 Campbell Pde. Bondi. Ph (02) 9130 1224. sonoma.com.au
A simple recipe, quality ingredients and a whole lot of love is what has turned Sonoma into a household name. In the hands of their skilled bakers, a few organic ingredients become classic sourdough, rye spelt or walnut raisin loaves, with taste to boot!
5. La Tartine || 111 Wisemans Ferry Rd. Somersby. Ph: (02) 4340 0299. sourdough.com
It’s a bit of a drive for to get one of these loaves in Somersby, but luckily you can find their fresh bread at most of Sydney’s good produce markets. Nick and Laurence Anthony have skipped the fancy bakery-café side of things and concentrated on turning out amazing certified organic bread and we say thanks!