A light breakfast at Dragonfly Cafe.
1. Dragonfly Cafe || Eden Gardens Nursery 301/307 Lane Cove Rd, North Ryde. Ph: (02) 9491 9900. edengardens.com.au
This café takes nursery eating to a whole new level. Here you can pick up a ploughman’s picnic lunch for a feast on the 2.5 acres of display gardens or even in nearby Lane Cove National Park. The nursery also offers courses in everything from creating a kitchen garden to botanical illustration.
2. Twig Cafe || Garden Life 357 Cleveland St, Redfern. Ph: (02) 8399 0666. gardenlife.com.au
This urban oasis offers up a menu of fresh sustainable produce under the guidance of ex-bills chef Richard Francis. Good nurseries are something of a rarity in the inner city, and even more so those that include a café with good, fresh food, and there are plenty of vegetarian options. Try the Barley, Lentil, Apple and Bean salad, ‘Eggs in a basket’ or just a sit down for a delicious coffee.
3. Cafe Belle Fleur || Flower Power Nursery 27 Mitchell St, Enfield. Ph: (02) 9744 6449. flowerpower.com.au
At the Flower Power Nursery you can potter around (excuse the pun) for all your leafy needs but a trip to the cafe will see you wooed by the sounds of chirping birds that inhabit the in-house aviary. Breakfast, lunch and coffee are all on offer but we recommend heading straight for the cakes.
4. Cafe Botanica || Swanes Nursery 490 Galston Rd, Dural. Ph: (02) 9653 9051. swanes.com
Swanes is known for its large and specialised range of roses, so a visit to the cafe is all the more inviting for the colourful displays when the flowers are in bloom. On the menu you will find typical and delicious café food like BLTs, tarts, steak sandwiches, mezze plates, but when the lavender festival in August and September is on, you might see a few lavender items make their way onto the cafe menu.
5. Cafe Mirabelle of Bonds || Bonds Nursery 277 Mona Vale Rd, Terrey Hills. Ph: (02) 9986 3551. flowerpower.com.au
Cafe Mirabelle is great for anyone heading out to a nursery with children in tow. There is a kids menu, but a dedicated children’s breakfast menu featuring toast in the shape of gingerbread men and not to mention the all-important playground. There is plenty of yummy coffee and food on offer for the adults too.
Click to save 30% off Sydney's top restaurants