From grilled to battered, everyone loves a good fisherman's basket. So, head to Sydney's best fish and chip shops.
1. Bottom of the Harbour || 21 The Esplanade St, Balmoral. Ph: (02) 9969 7911. bottomoftheharbour.com.au
Bottom of the Harbour is a bit of an institution in Balmoral Beach. The chipper has evolved into a popular cafe. There’s a breakfast service on offer, but skip straight to what they do best: grilled ocean perch with chips and salad. Add a glass of wine and prime ocean views to the picture. Such is life in Balmoral.
2. Fish Mongers || 42 Hall St, Bondi Beach. Ph: (02) 9365 2205; 11 Wentworth St, Manly Beach. Ph: (02) 9977 1777. mongers.com.au
Your boxed meal of fish, barbecue octopus or salt and pepper calamari are served with extra thick cut chips, kumera crisps or tempura vegetables. It’s the little extras that the Mongers put on their meals that make all the difference.
3. Bondi Surf Seafoods || 128 Campbell Pde, Bondi Beach. Ph: (02) 9130 4554. bondisurfseafood.com.au
Crowned ‘Sydney’s best fish n chips’, Surf Seafoods is Bondi’s oldest fish shop. The seafood is purchased fresh from the markets every day and grilled or fried to order. Take your bundle of seafood goodness to the beach and you’ll probably think life doesn’t get much better. But it does. They also do deep-fried Mars Bars.
4. Kiwi Style Fish & Chips || 895 Botany Rd, Mascot. Ph: (02) 9667 2499.
This Kiwi establishment serves up delectable fish and kumera chips. The burgers aren’t half bad either. A slice of home for Kiwi expats.
5. Ocean Foods || Cnr Lyons Rd and Gipps St, Drummoyne. Ph: (02) 9181 4336. oceanfoods.com.au
Ocean Foods’ owners claim they serve up “the best fish n chips in the universe”. It is a quite a claim for fame, but they back it up pretty well with a menu of consistent quality. There is something for everyone here: from classic fish n chips to sushi and oven-baked barramundi.