From short black to skinny cap, we’ve got Sydney’s coffee ground covered.
1. Single Origin Roasters || 60-64 Reservoir Street. Surry Hills. Ph: (02) 9211 0665. singleoriginroasters.com.au
Single Origin Roasters roasts and blends premium sustainably grown beans, which you may have tried at other cafes across Sydney. It’s worth popping around and tasting it at the source though. They also offer specialty brewing methods. The Sidebar attached to the café speeds up the take-away coffee queues.
2. White Horse Coffee || 2/137 Flora St. Sutherland. whitehorsecoffee.com.au
The guys at White Horse are dedicated to serving up some of the best coffee in town and putting the Shire on the coffee connoisseur map. They have brought together all the necessary elements for a great brew: coffee-mad baristas and a roaster for experimenting with their own blends.
3. Mecca Espresso || 67 King Street. Sydney, 2000. Ph: (02) 9299 8828; 1 Alfred Street. Sydney. Ph: (02) 9252 7668; 646 Harris St. Ultimo. Ph: (02) 9280 4204. meccaespresso.com
Using Clover, pour-over and siphon techniques, these guys get the most from each blend – like the signature Dark Horse. Thanks to Mecca, good coffee is no longer just about espresso. There is also a dedicated brew bar at their Ultimo café.
4. The Little Marionette || 1a Booth St. Balmain. Ph: (02) 9810 9728; 18a Trafalgar St. Annandale. Ph: (02) 9557 8337. lilm.com.au
The beans have made The Little Marionette’s success. Crowds are queuing at this tiny café and space is at a premium. If things just get a bit too hectic, take your cup across the road to Gladstone Park. The beans are also sold through other cafes across town.
5. Campos Coffee || 193 Missenden Rd. Newtown, 2042. Ph: (02) 9516 3361; Shop G1 21 Fountain St. Alexandria. Ph: (02) 9690 0090. camposcoffee.com
On the first floor of this cosy renovated terrace, you’ll find Sydney’s first dedicated cupping space. You can book in for an in-depth education session on your favourite brew. The coffee poured in situ isn’t half bad either and a favourite amongst Newtown residents.