Hugh uses all parts of the Seeker stage, as intriguing as some may be, in his creative and original Venison starters.
Venison Tongue with Celeriac Relish
1. To tenderise, soak the venison tongue in brine for two days.
2. Remove from brine and cook in venison stock, with some extra stock vegetables.
3. Simmer slowly for at least two hours.
4. Slice into 5mm pieces.
5. Cut the celeriac into matchsticks.
6. Dress with mustard, oil, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper.
7. Serve each piece of tongue with a small amount of the celeriac relish to produce a remarkable canapé, where the celeriac matchsticks form a piquant, crunchy contrast to the rich tender tongue.
1. Sear the loin fillet of venison, until the outer layer has browned slightly.
2. Slice the loin very thinly.
3. Drizzle the slices with a few drops of lemon juice and a scattering of capers and serve.
Watch Christmas At River Cottage on The LifeStyle Channel.